Monday, November 01, 2010

Goal achieved...a day late

Honestly, I just now found and put up the appropriately autumn blog photo...while listening to the Rangers-Giants World Series game and drinking some of my favorite Merlot. This weekend was a little too full of other important things like dinner with friends, lots of World Series watching, and naps.

I would regale you all with further details from the weekend, but, obviously, it was not quite exciting enough to hold your attention for more than half a second.

The photo above was taken in the Mosel Valley in Germany four years ago...when we lived in Europe. They have Fall there, and it is beautiful.

It is also a bit colder than it is here, and, although I might like the temperatures to be a little bit cooler, I will take the sunshine and above freezing temperatures of north Texas any day over the cold, rainy, freezing weather we experienced in Europe.

This has nothing to do with fall, other than the fact that I planted a fall crop of vegetables, but I'd like to share a quick garden update. I put out some Sluggo (organic snail and slug killer/repellent) in my garden because, my word!, the pill bugs (aka. roly poly bugs) that are munching down on my butternut squash!!!

A couple things I read say the pill bugs are only there because they follow snails and slugs. I have not yet had the chance...or desire...to go out with a flashlight at midnight to observe possible snail and slug activity, but I thought maybe I'd take a chance and see if those pests are really the cause of destruction.

Well, since putting out the Sluggo I have seen no pill bugs. My squash still doesn't look great, but I've seen no pill bugs. I'll reserve judgment until I'm actually harvesting some squash, but early indications look positive.

I now need to give my complete attention to the Rangers game. Happy Monday!

2 comments:

Abby said...

Love the new picture! Gorgeous!

Erin said...

Thanks! I'm sure you would have taken a better picture, though! :-)