Tuesday, November 02, 2010

I may need to build an ark.

Well, after all I've done to try to revive my vegetable garden all my plants are now drowned.

I can't remember the last time it's rained ALL DAY. Seriously, it has been raining nonstop since approximately 8:30 this morning. My garden is elevated and has great drainage (thanks to my sweet husband!), but I'm not sure it can possibly drain 12 hours worth of rain adequately. I guess we'll see what becomes of the plants after this massive downpour.

Thankfully, I hauled my behind out of bed early enough this morning to go vote soon after the polls opened, and it was not yet raining. Unfortunately, everyone is our precinct apparently has a last name in the latter half of the alphabet and decided to also be there right when the polls opened. I waited quite a while to get my ballot all the while envying the people whose last names start with A-L that went right up and got their ballot in seconds.

There was also an unfortunate mix-up with the group that checked in directly ahead of me whereby they were all given the wrong ballot. The first member of the group had already finished voting, but all those ballots had to be confiscated and destroyed (I believe the word actually used was "mutilated"). It was quite a to-do that held up the line further. I think after I checked in, the ladies at the table for the last half of the alphabet revamped their strategy and found a more efficient way to run things.

Who knew it was so complicated to run the check-in table for a polling place?

After spending some time out in the wet weather running errands, I got to do one of my favorite things to do on a rainy day (right up there with reading and watching movies) - cooking! Some friends had their first baby about a month ago, and I took them dinner. (And got to hang out with them and their cute little girl!)

Dessert was a last-minute addition to the menu, and I made something I haven't made since college: cake mix cookies. Thankfully they still taste as good as they did back in the day.

In case you have a hankering for extremely unhealthy, but super easy, cookies, here's the recipe:

Cake Mix Cookies
1 box cake mix (I used yellow, but whatever you like will work)
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
2-3 Tbs. water
chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips, nuts (whatever you'd like in the cookies, however much looks good to you)

Beat the eggs and oil. Mix the cake mix into the eggs and oil. Add 2-3 Tbs. water to make the batter a little thinner. Stir the chips or nuts into the dough. Drop by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.


I did actually also make more healthy food, including mashed sweet potatoes, a salad, and roast chicken. The roast chicken is fairly easy. Come back tomorrow and I'll post the recipe. Roast chicken and potatoes is just a great homey meal...especially good on a rainy day.

Although, if I'd known it was going to be rainy and cold all day, I definitely would have made some soup! What about you? What do you like to eat on a rainy, cold day?

2 comments:

e said...

Remember when would make those cookies in our apartment? Yumm

Erin said...

Yep! They're still just as good!