Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Giving Thanks

Sometimes being thankful doesn't come easy.

Whether it's a lot of small, unpleasant details in life that you're focusing on or a generally devastating life situation or experience that's occupying your mind, sometimes gratitude seems unnatural.

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful." -Colossians 3:15

Maybe that's why God has to remind us quite a lot in the Bible to be thankful, to be grateful, and to be content.

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." -Paul, in Philippians 4:11


Contentment, and I would add thankfulness, are things we have to learn according to Paul, so obviously they don't always come naturally.

The Wall Street Journal reported just yesterday on research that has shown grateful people are happier and healthier, so apparently God knows what's good for us! The article says adults who are thankful "have more energy, more optimism, more social connections and more happiness than those who do not." In addition, "they're also less likely to be depressed, envious, greedy or alcoholics. They earn more money, sleep more soundly, exercise more regularly and have greater resistance to viral infections."

Our baby would have been due next Wednesday. It's kind of a crappy time of year to be reminded of our loss. I know we're in good company, though. It seems the holidays are chock-full of grief for so many people. It just takes intentional effort to be thankful anyway...despite the emotions.

I'm thankful for:
1. my husband. I couldn't have a better one.
2. doctors...at least, most of the time.
3. my job and the fantastic coworkers I have.
4. friendships that continue through time and distance.
5. a close relationship with my sister.
6. my sweet nephew and his miraculous life.
7. not having a fatal illness.
8. having enough: enough food, enough clothes, enough roof over my head, enough medical care.
9. reliable transportation and being able to afford gas for my car.
10. hot showers and clean water.
11. books and the library.
12. pumpkin spice lattes.
13. being able to have hope because I have a Savior.
14. our house not burning down.
15. music.
16. good hair.
17. getting to travel to so many cool places.
18. the kids we sponsor through Compassion International and their prayers for us.
19. a good-sized kitchen to cook in.
20. the use of my five senses.

If I could think of twenty, I'm sure you could think of five or ten. It's OK if it takes a while, but I encourage everybody to try it. Make a list. If you want, put it in a comment and we can all be thankful together.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

abby said...

I am thankful for your blog. I've learned an awful lot as a passive reader of your honest stories and brokeness in this struggle. Bless you for sharing it and keeping Christ's cause in the center of it all. I know you must make your Heavenly Father so very proud. (And you give GREAT recipes and tips! Thanks!)

Abby Gentsch said...

Much love to you all!