Thursday, November 18, 2010

For the Sake of Cooking

I promised myself "No more with the cooking and recipes on the blog!" But I can't help it!

You know you love to cook when you see a recipe and think it would be fun and satisfying to make it...even though you're pretty sure you'd never actually want to eat it.

Pioneer Woman posted a recipe like this just this week: Pumpkin Cream Pie. I don't care for pumpkin pie, and I also don't care for cream pies. In fact, I don't care so much for pies in general (unless it's peanut butter pie - thank you, John's grandmother, for making peanut butter pie for family functions). Or my mom's apple pie. I am already dreaming of her apple pie at Christmas!

There's something about food processing graham crackers, whipping up a cream substance, and folding together whipped cream and pudding that sounds delightful.

But the thought of eating that makes me feel a little sick. I would pass.

I'm sure someone would eat the pie, but in all honestly, I'm not going to do it. My part of Thanksgiving dinner is smoking a turkey. And with everyone else bringing sides and desserts and rolls, there is no need for me to bring anything else. I kind of think it would go to waste with all the other delicious food.

But just thinking a recipe looks fun to make reinforces the fact that maybe I like to cook for the sake of cooking, not always for the eating part.

No comments: