Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Not Snappy

I don't mean to be melodramatic, but this year has been the year of illness, death, pain, and suffering. I barely staved off a sinus infection two weeks ago, only to go visit my sister and contract a sore throat.

Then the sore throat began spreading to my ears, which are now hurting just a tad.

For the record, I knew my sister was ill before we left to drive down to visit for the weekend. With the way this year has gone, I'm not sure why I thought I could fight off any illness and remain strong and healthy, but I did. Plus, I really don't like going more than a month without seeing my nephew and this was the only weekend in a good long while when I wasn't scheduled to work.

I cannot adequately express how tired I am of going to doctors, getting prescribed medicine, dealing with traumatic side-effects and wondering if the medication I was given was correct, necessary, or helpful.

I promised I would share one of the goodie recipes that I can't do without at Christmas. This blog is not a food blog, or a dining blog, or a recipe blog...at least it wasn't. Lately it seems like food is taking up a great deal of space on here. What can I say?

It's the holidays.

I think about food a lot.

I like to cook.

And today I lack the energy to write about anything more original or entertaining.

My mom makes the best Ginger Snaps. I know by definition, the cookies should be crunchy, but I like them moist and chewy. I am not alone in my preference. In college my mom would send a box of goodies to our apartment after Thanksgiving, and the Ginger Snaps were the first to be finished.

The beauty of the recipe is that you can get "snappy" cookies if you wish simply by cooking them longer.

But, please, pretty please...do yourself a favor and at least try one batch the chewy way. I am wishing right now that my mom had sent me a box of Ginger Snaps...yesterday...so I could have them today. You know, without going to any effort on my own part.

Because, did I mention I'm a bit under the weather?

OK. I think I did.

I also like my Ginger Snaps really gingery. (I am now making up words.) To make up for the lack of snappiness, perhaps. So I tweak the original recipe just a bit and add about twice as much ginger as it calls for. The recipe below is in its untainted, original form.

Even though this recipe has no chocolate, it is without a doubt the one holiday goodie I must have.

Ginger Snaps

Cream till fluffy:
¾ c. margarine

¼ c. molasses
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg

Mix well and stir into creamed mixture:
2 ¼ c. flour

2 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. cloves

If you stir the flour mixture in it may be stiff enough to make the cookies immediately. (Cover dough and chill well if it’s too sticky to work with.) Roll into small balls about ¾”-1” in diameter and roll them in white sugar. Place 2” apart on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° 7-8 minutes. They’ll be cracked on top. (Bake longer for crispy cookies.)
Makes about 5 dozen soft cookies.

3 comments:

Joni Buck said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! You made my day! I've been meaning to ask you for this recipe for YEARS but somehow I always seem to forget. Ginger snaps here I come!

Kali said...

these sound yummy! i'm right there with you-chewy is MUCH better than crunchy when it comes to cookies! i'm going to have to try these...lately we've had all kinds of yummy breads in the house (yes i should just stop baking them but they taste too good!). the latest was some gingerbread and then this weekend at the store i saw some gingerbread cookies...but the refrigerated dough that is already rolled into a ball and all you have to do is stick it in the oven. i was highly doubtful that they'd be any good, but sometimes it's nice to just have an "easy" dessert and i love that you don't have to make the whole batch at once (because i also LOVE my cookies warm/right out of the oven!)...surprisingly they have been pretty yummy and they're soft and not crunchy! ok, longest comment ever...i am loving fall baking this year too!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing the famous ginger snap recipe. Unfortunately, Chiceaux doesn't like ginger, but that just means more for me!