Tuesday, October 05, 2010

A Month Later...

I have these good intentions of writing more regular blog posts. I go through periods where I have so many topics to write about, stories to tell, and reminiscing to do. Then something happens, and I can't even tell you what it is.

Some weeks just get busy. Unfortunately we have also gotten hit with ragweed along with the extremely pleasant temperatures and sunshine. Ragweed makes me tired, I think.

That or something else is wrong with me, because I. Am. Tired. I don't even have babies or small children, like so many of my friends, to keep me up all night and busy all day. Sometimes I seriously wonder how I would do it!

In any case, we were in Hawai'i a month ago. Can I just tell you that I still go look at our pictures ever few days, wish I were on a sunny beach, and have dreams about going snorkeling? Even a month later!

I didn't even tell you all about the week we spent in Maui. At least, not all of it.

Po'olenalena Beach, just down the street from our resort, was my favorite beach on Maui.


There was some pretty great snorkeling there and lots of green sea turtles.


We even went back for a final snorkeling adventure the morning we left the island to return home. Now, I have no clue about ocean stuff and currents and all. I'm definitely not anything more than a beginner snorkeler. We snorkeled out a ways that last morning and suddenly I noticed small stings, like bee stings, all around my mouth, then on my arms!

I'm not sure I've ever moved through water so quickly and so far as I did getting back to shore. John also got stung on his arms, but neither of us ever saw anything. Apparently green sea turtles like to eat jellyfish, often leaving behind tiny particles of the jellyfish, which can cause stings. I guess the turtles were having a feast that morning before we got there.

Instead of snorkeling, we ended up wading around in the shallow water and sitting in the surf just soaking up the sun.

On word of caution about Po'olenalena Beach. There are basically two parts of the beach separated by some lava rock you can easily climb over. The parking areas enter onto the larger part of the beach. The smaller part is apparently the place for topless and nude sunbathing (illegal, but we still saw it at a couple beaches nonetheless). Actually, both times we witnessed the nude beach-goers, there were photo shoots going on...one of which was a photo shoot of an entire family - two boys (wearing swim trunks), dad (also wearing appropriate beach attire), and mom (topless). We laughed about what in the world they were going to do with those family photos and what those boys are going to say about those pictures in six years or so when they're teenagers.

You will be glad to know we did not partake in the nudity. In fact, with our rash guard shirts, hats, and SPF 70 sunscreen, we were hardly any tanner than we had been before setting out for Hawai'i.

At least, hardly tanner compared to normal people. For me, I thought I had definitely gotten some sun; but when you start out glaringly white I guess it doesn't take much to be more tan.

The rest of Maui will have to wait for tomorrow (hopefully). I need to go get some sleep...and probably dream about beaches and snorkeling.

No comments: