Friday, October 15, 2010

Scam

Well, I would never have guessed that this particular type of scam really does exist.

I got a baby shower invitation in the mail this week. My name and address were printed on an address label (in two different fonts, I might add...kinda tacky). The invitation was Hallmark stationery, with everything filled out by hand (in purple pen, again...tacky...I think I was probably 13 the last time I used a purple pen). The time is listed as "2p-4p", and I want to know if anyone really thinks that's the correct way to give a time. The thing is, I have NO clue who these people are.

And they live in Ohio. I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone that lives in Ohio right now.

But just to make sure this isn't someone my husband knows from work, I asked him if he knew the "Posts". Nope. Not a clue.

So, I went to the baby registry/baby website included with the invitation (I checked out the general website first and it seems to be a legit place to post stuff about your pregnancy,etc.), looked at a wedding photo of a couple I did not even recognize, and read the most inane post about them and how they're a perfect couple and they registered for all this cool gender-neutral stuff because they want the baby's gender to be a surprise.

Scammers. Scammsters. Whatever. I don't understand how anyone thinks that a person who receives a random invitation in the mail from someone they clearly do not know would then go buy a gift for these total strangers.

Of course, I guess they're also running the risk that a bunch of people no one knows could show up at "Grandma Judi's house" on Sunday. Or start calling the phone number to harass whoever owns that line about sending scam baby shower invitations.

OK. Maybe I'm being dramatic and some weird family accidentally got my name and address on their invitation list and invited me to their baby shower mistakenly.

I guess a third option would be that I do, in fact, know these people and am getting old enough that I know too many people from too many places and my memory is apparently fading prematurely.

But I doubt it.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I can't see how it's a mistake, and I also don't understand how it's even a productive scam.

No comments: