Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Why is Voting So Hard?

This is a public service announcement. November 2 is Election Day. Don't forget to vote.

And if you think you're going to forget to vote, go vote right now in early voting.

Is anybody else getting, no joke, at least ten calls per day with some pre-recorded message from a hopeful candidate? Or maybe you're lucky because you're only getting the annoying political flyers in your mailbox every day.

I wonder if all these candidates know that: a.) no one listens to their pre-recorded messages, b.) I (and probably most other people) only give a political flyer about 1/2 a second of my time, and c.) why would I make a decision based on propaganda that you're sending out about yourself? Pretty much all I know from the countless mailings is that one particular candidate has more money to spend on advertising than any other candidate in the any of the races I'm voting for.

And that's saying something because I decided a couple days ago to figure out who all I'm supposed to be voting for in this election, and there are EIGHTY races. 8 - 0.

80.

I just went to look it up again because I thought surely I had managed to exaggerate the number of races in the time since I last looked it up. Nope.

It took about thirty minutes to read about the candidates in the first three elections listed.

I have an idea. Let's set a limit on how many different races we vote for in a single election. Really, if we expect to have informed voters, there is no way any voter will adequately know about each candidate running in 80 races. Eighty is a wee bit extreme, don't ya think? Who has 13 hours to spend scrutinizing all the candidates?

So, what's going to end up happening is that people will all vote straight ticket or only vote for the governor and forget about the other 79 races.

Couldn't we just vote for about ten races at a time? After all, voting is an important right and if we're going to get everybody involved it'd be best not to overwhelm them with the ridiculous number of elections.

Just a thought.

Oh, and if anybody making phone calls or sending out pre-recorded messages is reading: please, stop calling and leaving us messages.

Thank you.

No comments: