Friday, May 07, 2010

Just Wishing

If it weren't for the HORRIBLE allergies this season, I would very possibly be outside every free minute of my day. The sun, the blue skies, all the bright green, the warmth (but not TOO warm), and the breezes are too perfect!

If it weren't for the sneezing, the itchy eyes, and the stupid unrelenting congestion, I would eat breakfast and dinner on the back patio, find excuses to be in the garden in my free time, or lounge on the patio furniture with a book or a friend...and some iced tea. I would seriously love some iced tea right now.

As it is, I spent the entire morning outside yesterday only to suffer with a sinus headache the rest of the day and sneezing all day today. Although, honestly, it probably will not keep me from spending more time outside this weekend. I can't help myself!

And it's not like I'm really that discontent with life right now, but it sure seems like some things have come up with week that make me want what I can't have.

For instance, on my way in to the grocery store a few days ago, I swear it smelled like funnel cake, which made me think of the State Fair of Texas. My mouth was watering for some funnel cake and a Fletcher's Corny Dog (yes, it's capitalized). I don't eat hot dogs as a general rule, but I have to have a Fletcher's Corny Dog at the State Fair.

Come to think of it, we don't spend money much at the State Fair, as a general rule...other than the entrance ticket and parking...so I'm not sure I've ever gotten funnel cake at the State Fair. But funnel cake smells like the State Fair, and I do sometimes have a hankering for some funnel cake.

Alas, I just looked it up and the State Fair of Texas doesn't start until September 24 (through October 17), if you're interested. That's a long way away.

If I (or you) really wanted to, The Pioneer Woman happened to post a recipe for actual funnel cake on her cooking blog earlier in the week. No kidding! (I just wish I could buy it at the fair instead of going to all the trouble and making my house smell like fried stuff...which I won't do in all reality.)

Also, as of yesterday, my parents happen to be in Disney World. I'm jealous. Wouldn't this be perfect weather? Won't the crowds be great right now? Have I mentioned I'm obsessed with Disney World - love it! Even more than the State Fair of Texas. (I know there's not a comparison really, and I can't even say why I like going to the State Fair so much other than: nice weather, lots of great people-watching, free food in the Food & Fiber pavilion several times a day, seeing farm animals up close, a giant butter sculpture, strange and unique crafts, and a great miniature train set-up...and the Corny Dogs. See? Not exactly Disney World, but I still love it!)

Anyway, I can't be too jealous of my parents because it was at this exact same time of year only 3 years ago that they took us and my sister and brother-in-law on a fun family trip to Disney World. I remember perfectly it was Mother's Day while we were there because we ate at the Hollywood Brown Derby for lunch (yum!) and my fabulous sister was pregnant with my sweet nephew. And even though she was a bit sick during the trip, we still had so much fun together. We'll just have to do it again when my nephew is a little older and will remember the fun times!

By the way, instead of funnel cake, I'm thinking of making this stuffed french toast for breakfast tomorrow. Because it definitely looks healthier than funnel cake. I mean, it has fruit along with the fried bread and powdered sugar! And I got stuffed french toast one time on our last trip to Disney World, so it's like the best of both worlds: Disney World and fried tastiness to remind me of the State Fair.

No comments: