Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Our State Fair is a Great State Fair...

The absence of posts is an indication of the busy turn life is taking.

And apparently in my absence my husband has taken it upon himself to post a few videos.

Or 20.

For the world to see.

Although, I’m not sure too many people would actually go to the trouble of viewing that video montage unless you know us.

So, yes, these first few weeks in my new job are a bit strange since I am working our booth at the State Fair of Texas. All of my shifts happen to be the afternoon/evening shift, so I’m not getting home until around 11 or 11:30, making it even more difficult than normal to then get up at a reasonable time in the morning.

On the up side, I love getting to talk to all the people who stop by our booth, and we’re making some great community contacts through this.

Another entertaining aspect of working at the State Fair of Texas is getting to people-watch. I have seen all manner of tattoos, costume, hair color, enthusiasm, exhaustion, dancing in the street…and the fair has only been going for five days now!

I assume every state fair has its fair share (no pun intended) of fried foods and cuisine “on a stick.” I’m out there so often these next few weeks that, after an initial corny dog, I will be carrying my own snacks and meals with me. I’m pretty sure I can live another decade without a corny dog.

This year’s food winners, by the way, are: fried banana split and chicken-fried bacon.

I walk by the chicken-fried bacon stand every time I work and fear for the people ordering that particular item. There should be health warnings posted on the menu.

Not that a fried banana split, deep fried s’mores, fried grilled cheese sandwiches, or fried Texas Jelly Belly beans are that much healthier.

The one fair smell that can really get to me when I’m hungry is funnel cake. Thankfully, there are no funnel cake stands near our booth, so I feel safe that I won’t cave in to that craving.

There are, as the videos clearly show, a multitude of hot tub/spa/Jacuzzi booths around our set-up. I believe hot tubs went out of style at least a decade ago. And, really, when it’s 100 degrees outside who is going to decide they’re at the fair and suddenly need a hot tub?

I’ve not witnessed anyone purchase a hot tub. More realistic purchases seem to be fancy cookware that costs more than our mortgage payment, a brand new vacuum, a telescoping flagpole, or large squeegee. (Yes, I have seen patrons leaving the fair in the last couple days with all of those items.) The cookware people apparently make enough money to sponsor the parade that travels through the fair grounds each evening.

Unfortunately, I am getting my fill of the fair through work, so I can guarantee we will not be attending for “fun” this year. Although, I have to admit that mostly our work out there ends up being pretty “fun” in its own way.

If I am lax in posting, just picture me sitting out in the heat of the fair, watching the Midway rides, the acrobats, the evening light parade, maybe eating one or two more fried delicacies, listening to the cacophony of various music styles coming from different booths and rides in all directions, and telling the L’Oreal people next door “no, I don’t want to go inside the tent for my free mascara/wrinkle cream/lip gloss” for the tenth time as I walk past on my way to visit the restroom.

No comments: