Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A Place in My Heart

A little boy in Uganda wants to see us.

Today is Tuesday. Today is the day what is left of “Gustav” finally reached our area with heavy winds but unfortunately no rain. Today is the day I had my second interview for a job I really want.

Most importantly, today is Letter Day.

Ronald, the boy we sponsor through Compassion International, wrote us a letter exactly one month ago. Today it arrived in our mailbox.

Among other things, Ronald now wants to be a doctor instead of a pilot. Do you remember those days when you were ten, 11, or 12 and every month or so a different career opportunity interested you?

I wonder how many children in Uganda get to dream such dreams. This is what we pray for Ronald: that the whole world will be open to him, that God will plant big dreams in his heart and then give him what he needs to make them happen.

You can give another little boy or the girl the opportunity to dream big dreams, too. It’s only $32 a month. Less than a daily cup of coffee at the green & white establishment now taking over every other corner in your city.

Ronald also mentioned that he wants to come visit us in our country when he grows up.

My heart is beating fast because little does he know that he will get to see us with his very own eyes in only seven weeks! Compassion prefers we not mention the trip to Ronald “just in case”, but believe me, at this point nothing will stand in the way of us getting over there to hug this little boy, play football with him, and share smiles and laughter.

We wrote him back, of course. But in a month and a half we can tell Ronald in person that he is welcome to visit us anytime when he grows up.

Oh, I am excited to see his smiling face!

I love Letter Day.

No comments: