Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Driving Through a Tropical Storm

Regardless of the warnings about travel we headed to the Austin area Saturday morning for my nephew’s baptism. While there was no weather to speak of in Austin or San Antonio, we were still hearing about the wind, rain and possible power outages that might affect our area of Texas.

The tropical storm warnings seemed to be just east of where we would be driving, so it seemed safe enough. And we really didn’t have anything else planned for the weekend and the possibility of living even a day without air conditioning was not appealing so we decided to go for it.

I’m sure you can guess that the outcome of the trip was positive since here I am writing about it on our blog, but we did indeed drive all the way down south of Austin. I believe the hurricane we experienced in Amsterdam involved more wind and rain. I walked home from a rather distant bus stop after work in that particular storm, so I figured we could driving through a tropical storm. It turned out that we experienced only a heavy rainstorm and strong winds for approximately an hour of the drive. Not bad.

The remainder of the weekend involved hugging lots of baby, talking, outlet-mall shopping, and eating. Oh, and then driving all the way back Sunday afternoon. It was a short trip, but well worth it once we realized how happy my sister was that we had braved the tropical storm and made it down for the baptism.

So, we evacuated to a place where the sun was shining all weekend and there was no danger of the power going out. We came home to a place that saw no wind damage over the weekend and is now enjoying those delicious fall-weather days: no humidity, cool breeze, temperatures in the 70s during the day and 50s at night, blue sky, a few small white clouds.

In fact, this weather is perfect and reminds me of all things perfect: Colorado, Thanksgiving, vacations and the beauty of nature. I want to be out in this weather as much as possible and wish I could become the leaves dancing and singing in the trees, the golden, clear rays of sunlight, or the cool air itself.

I believe the weather in heaven will be like this all the time and I can’t wait!

So, rather than sit in front of this computer any longer, I’m off to think of all the things I can do while enjoying these perfect temperatures!

No comments: