Monday, September 22, 2008

Confessions

I have a confession. It’s something I did today that I really, really hate when other people do. In an effort to fully disclose (some of) my (lesser) mistakes and to perhaps make myself feel a little better, I figured I’d share here.

On the way from signing a bunch of papers for my employer, traveling to my actual job I saw my exit nearly too late, flipped on the turn signal and started switching lanes before doing the blind spot check. Just as I was being terribly startled by the white pick-up in my blind spot and excitedly veering back into the lane from whence I had come, the driver in the white pick-up was probably having a heart attack trying to avoid me, causing his (or her) tires to squeal something awful.

I can honestly say in this one instance that I completely empathize with that driver. It has happened to me before and I know all about the cardiac infarction, the overzealous vehicle maneuvers, and then the outrage at the ridiculous yahoo (or some other colorful description) who almost killed me.

I further admit that I probably deserve such a description in this instance, and if you are a driver of a white pick-up in the area, who almost got run off the road today, please know that I am very sorry. It was am impetuous thing to do, and perhaps I should not drive before ten in the morning.

Speaking of ten in the morning - I will also just admit right now that I am not a morning person. Oh, how I have tried to love getting up early in the morning so much that I force myself to do it. Yes, I have proven to myself that seeing the sunrise and the early morning light is beautiful, feeling the cool morning air is refreshing, and living in the silence of the start of the day is so peaceful. My head knows it all. My body has never caught on.

If you catch me awake in the morning, it’s best not to try to have any kind of thoughtful conversation with me. Or maybe any conversation. I might not remember speaking to you an hour later. Apparently this affects my driving as well.

What’s most frightening is that I know there are many others out there like me, who take hours for their brain to wake up. In a city this large, with that many cars on the road, I’m sure half of us are not quite all there.

God must be working double time to ensure our safety between the hours of 7 and 10 a.m. There’s just no other explanation for there not being a wreck every twenty feet on the highway during morning rush hour.

No comments: