Saturday, May 08, 2010

A thought on tomorrow

I love my mom. (Even though she's in Disney World right now, and I'm not.)

My mom is not overly emotional, but I know when she's happy or sad, and I know that she always loves and cares about me. One of the most important things to me about my mom is that she prays for me, and John, and my sister and her family every day...all the time. And prayer is powerful.

Tomorrow we celebrate a holiday made up by marketers who like to sell greeting cards, flowers, candy, and $85 per person buffet brunches. And although I absolutely love having another occasion to let my mom know how much I appreciate her, I also am fully aware of what a difficult day this is for so many women.

Those of us who struggle with infertility, or who have suffered miscarriage are reminded of the children we do not have here with us. Moms who have lost children at a young age or whose children are deployed with the military in dangerous situations are reminded of their grief and sadness because those who call them "Mom" are not around to celebrate Mother's Day. Children who have recently lost their mom are reminded once again of their pain and loss.

I wish we lived in a world where the value and reality of a six-week pregnancy was viewed the same as a 30-week pregnancy...or a two-month-old...or a two-year-old. How often have I acknowledged that women around me who have only known miscarriage are also moms? They just never got to meet their kids.

I don't mean to take the joy out of celebrating moms. After all, every one of us has one...or had one. But just as every hour of the day there are deaths mourned as well as births celebrated, I think it's important to be sensitive to those who find it a little harder than most to put on a smile for Mother's Day.

I have to think that my own mom was a pretty good teacher when it came to being sensitive to other people, empathizing, and refraining from judgment. Going through infertility has also opened up my perspective a little wider. And though I wouldn't wish it on anyone, I am grateful for all the things God is teaching me through disappointment and waiting and hurting.

So, to all those who have children here on earth or in heaven, to all those who miss their children on Mother's Day, to all those who have a mother's heart, to all those whose motherhood journey is longer and harder than you imagined it would be...Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Ernay said...

so well written, EH. thinking of you today with lots of love and admiration.