Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Warning: Inane subject to follow

You know what I've decided I don't really like doing?

Checking the air pressure in my tires when it's 30 degrees outside.

In all honesty, I dislike checking the air pressure in my tires at any time of year. I like to think I'm fairly capable of doing many things, and how hard can checking air pressure be anyway?

I just never can get a precise reading. I can put that little air pressure gauge in the tire three times and get readings that are 5 lbs different each time! It's so annoying. And then, since I'm a recovering perfectionist, it's impossible for me to figure out if each tire is exactly at the same pressure.

In the back of my mind I hear a voice telling me I read somewhere about how if the tires aren't calibrated equally your tires will explode...or something. So even as I'm adding up to 5 lbs of air to a tire, I'm wondering if that fifth measurement really confirmed that the tire is that low. Am I adding too much air to this one tire?

Either I have a slow leak in one or two of my tires or my air pressure gauge skills are woefully awful and I've now inflated two of my tires to dangerous levels. An explosion could occur any day.

Or maybe it can all be blamed on a faulty gauge. This is just not a topic that comes up in conversation, so I really have no idea if others have these kinds of problems. I could just be crazy.

(Crazy like you probably are right this very minute for having read so much about such an inane subject!)

Just one more thing. The cold weather makes screwing those little caps on and off the tires almost unbearable: it can't be done with gloves on, so your hands are destined to be frozen.

I wish I had some more interesting subject to write about this evening, but, alas, I'm either too tired or my life has been too boring to come up with anything more entertaining. Come back tomorrow and check to see if life has become more exciting.

And feel free to comment if you also have tire air pressure frustrations - maybe I'm not alone.

2 comments:

Aunt Ruth said...

I too suffer from tire guage-itis.
Thanks to the bright neon yellow light on my dashboard. I was ignorantly bliss to the fact that a tire was 2psi underinflated when I drove the old brown van, but now thanks to a new vehicle& technology I cannot miss it! Living in the land of 15degrees today,75 tomorrow makes this game even more fun!

Erin said...

Ha! I can only imagine how crazy I'd get if my vehicle had to warn me about tire pressure with this weather that can't make up its mind! :-)