Friday, January 22, 2010

Just Ignore It

So, no thanks to me I am growing broccoli, y'all!!!

(I am apparently now saying "y'all" again, after being broken of that habit in Europe, because I'm virtually a bona fide Texas farmer.)

OK, so I actually did till the soil. And I did plant some seeds. And I also did some watering with some organic stuff that did something that I can't remember about now. (That was back in October, before the last unsuccessful IUI, the fabulous Thanksgiving with my family, and the spur-of-the-moment kitchen remodel!)

But then the weather decided it wanted to be below zero and snowing for a week, then not rain for weeks on end, and then be a balmy 70 degrees with lots of sunshine. And after all the covering up then uncovering the garden for the harshest of the winter weather, I decided to quit messing with that foolishness every night in the 30-degree temperatures and arctic wind. I figured the broccoli was a complete loss.

I also thought that three months after planting seeds I should have been getting some vegetables already, but not a single plant was producing anything but leaves.

Since the weather has been rainy, snowy, freezing, or just gloomy outside most days, I haven't even ventured out to the garden to check on things.

Until today. Seriously, it couldn't be more beautiful today.

Today, my broccoli looks like this:

That sucker is ready to be harvested and eaten. We're having home-grown organic broccoli for dinner this weekend!

Here's one of the other plants:


I definitely also see lots of other small heads of broccoli cropping up on those two big plants and a couple of the smaller ones, too! Here's a baby broccoli (you'll have to take my word for it since I made no attempts to add anything for comparison purposes to the photo):


Maybe it's all thanks to this Christmas gift addition to the garden:

(Isn't it cute?)

Or maybe I should really just ignore the garden as much as possible after the planting and pray for the right quantities of sun and rain...like farmers probably did 8000 years ago.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are a great writer. You're a hoot!