Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Kisses!

My sister and I are best friends. I know that's not the case for a lot of siblings, and I feel sorry for them. Unlike anybody else, my sister knows my history and has witnessed me grow and change first-hand. I can always be completely honest with her and neither of us ever feels the need to give answers or make the other one feel better. Sometimes you just have to live without answers or perfect words, but just being able to talk to her is comforting enough.

And as much as I love my sister, I'm accordingly very attached to my sister's son. I've written a little about D on the blog before, and now he's already two years old! I haven't seen him in a couple months so I'm sure by now he's like a new person three times over.

My sweet sister called me today just before our IUI. She put D on the phone for me to talk to him. (D has some developmental delays and isn't talking yet, but there is no doubt he is a smart little boy. He does some signing and apparently now knows where different body parts are, including his chest which my sister discovered he knew about accidentally just the other day when she was talking to someone else, mentioned his chest, and then noticed him patting his chest.)

One of the other things he understands is when someone asks him to give them a kiss. Only, D believes kisses should always be given to him on his forehead, so he hears "kiss" and immediately pushes his forehead up to the person's lips. I think this might have happened when my mom was "playing a game" with him one time where he did something (I can't remember what...something cute I'm sure) and she kissed him on the forehead, then he'd do it again and she'd kiss him on the forehead again, and on and on it went. He got quite excited and loved the game, so I think that's what he remembers most about kisses.

So, usually D doesn't babble or say anything when I'm talking to him on the phone. My sister has to come back on and explain to me what faces D was making while I was talking to him. This morning, she came back on the phone laughing and said he heard me talking and was just smiling and smiling (not that he doesn't smile about 95% of the time as it is!) and then near the end of the conversation he pushed his forehead against the phone - his kissing motion. It made my day! I sure do love that cute, smart, happy, fun little boy!

It's a good thing I don't have other siblings with kids because I'm pretty sure my sister's son will undoubtedly be my favorite always and forever!

No comments: