Friday, August 07, 2009

Jumping Giraffes! Is that shower tomorrow?

I need to finish writing a post that summarizes the remainder of our trip to Portland - which took place over a month ago!!!

But right now there are more pressing things I want to share with the world, one of which is the
Gift Registry Frustration.

I know I'm not the only one who procrastinates when buying baby shower gifts. I can't be! I estimate there have to be at least 75% of us who do not rush out to Babies R Them as soon as the baby shower invitation comes in the mail. And then there must be at least 15% of us who, with the passing of days...or maybe hours, forget there is even a gift to buy until we realize we have a baby shower to go to in a couple days. And then, sadly, it is way too late to order anything online.

(Those percentages are rough estimates, mind you.)

I always have good intentions. Things just never seem to pan out. (Maybe it has something to do with my less-than-pleasant past experiences at the mega-baby stores.)

When I do finally get to the store it is only to discover the items left on the registry are either a $400 audio-video, high-tech baby monitor or the $2 diaper cream.

Nothing says, "Yes. Yes, I waited until the last minute to go buy your present" like a gift bag consisting of silicone nipples, baby nail clippers, and socks.

OK. I'm kidding. Actually what they'll end up with is whatever I think is cute and/or practical regardless of its inclusion on the registry list.

And a nice gift receipt. (That is, if the employees at Babies R Them can figure out how to print the gift receipt.)

Wouldn't you think just having knowledge of the Gift Registry Frustration would push me into early action? Yeah, I would think so too. Strangely enough, it just doesn't. So, guess what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

No comments: