Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Falling Cockroaches

The title should about sum it up. I mean, do I need to elaborate? Do you not already have the chills of disgust running up your spine?

Of course, we all know I'm going to elaborate anyway.

There's not a lot to this story, really. I went to the library earlier today to return a book and see if any movies struck my fancy (they did not). I might also have been lamenting the fact that our neighborhood library - that was literally in our neighborhood - closed late last year and now I have to drive a whole four miles to another library.

As I was exiting the library out the automatic sliding doors, a cockroach smack dab hit me on my nose on its way from somewhere up above me to the ground!!!! I heard it plop onto the ground, thought "Whatever that is, it's a pretty big something", glanced at the ground, saw a giant cockroach skittering away, and walked swiftly away while brushing at my nose and shivering in disgust despite the 100-degree temperatures.

Somehow I managed to not go into hysterics until I got into my car, where I might have screamed "Ewwwwwwww!!!!!!!" a few times and then left a screechy, dramatic voicemail for my husband on his cell phone.

Honestly, there was a ROACH. Falling from the sky. Hitting me in the nose! Rest assured, upon arriving at home I immediately washed my face and thoroughly disinfected the entire nose area.

I will never be the same person walking through those library doors again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha! I hadn't read the part about hysterics in the car when I thought, "Why didn't she scream and jump up and down like any self-respecting person would?" Okay, obviously we're related. A dead cockroach still sits in my garage after seriously two months because I will not pick it up. You heard right; I will not pick up dead cockroaches...that's one of the benefits of having a husband.