Thursday, May 15, 2008

Polar Opposites

Our small group decided a few weeks ago that it would be a good idea to get to know each other better.

Thus commences the "life stories" that will take up the next month or so in lieu of an actual Bible study.

(To be fair, God, faith, and Bible verses do come up in the life stories, so we're still being spiritual and all.)

John and I agreed to share our stories first since we'd done this in previous small groups and have never been shy of going first anyway.

Some of the comments from our friends after we shared were quite telling. Although, I am now wondering how accurate some of their impressions may be since John talked about himself for half an hour leaving me to sum up my life, being, and ambitions in about seven minutes (which is, in itself, rather telling I suppose).

OK, so John's the talker. Me, not so much. But when I do speak and share I try to be honest and open. Here's what I learned from our group after we were finished spilling our guts:

- John is hi-lar-i-ous! I'm not the only person in the world who can laugh at things he says and does until I cry.
- While not the comedian, I can be open and honest in a way that lets other people know it's OK to not be perfect or happy all the time.
- No one would ever guess the shenanigans John pulled when he was a teenager.
- John and I have been declared "polar opposites." (Though, funnily enough, I also see ways in which we are completely similar, so I guess that really does make our relationship one of polarities.)
- Someone actually said that John is "like a character out of a movie" - which makes me a supporting actress, right? So this is why my life seems like a constant adventure full of stories; I'm living with a movie character...or maybe just a character.

And because I love my husband so much, I just have to share one more thing that happened two evenings ago.

After dinner John asked me, "If you got hungry for dessert, what would you have?" Pause. He added, "What would be your two first choices?"

What?!? Only two choices?!? I love dessert! So, I thought long and hard.

One of the choices has to be chocolate, and it's been way too hot and humid for the month of May...

So I came up with 1.) brownies and 2.)ice cream.

John smiled really big and went to the freezer. What does he pull out but "Brownie Batter" ice cream! (Yes, there is such a thing.) Then he so humbly declared, "Am I good or what?"

Answer: Yes, he's good...maybe a little too good...it's a bit scary how well he knows me!

Heck, I should have just let him tell my life story. He sure wouldn't have minded talking a little longer and maybe with him telling it my life would have been funnier.

Mmmm. I'm in the mood for ice cream now. A couple bites couldn't spoil dinner, right?

No comments: