Thursday, May 29, 2008

Culinary Delights

I was going to start this post by listing some of my favorite foods.

Until I realized I just love food.

So, really, a list won’t do.

The list would go on for pages, and it might be enough to make you dedicated blog-readers look elsewhere for more entertaining ramblings.

I’m interested - If someone were to to ask you what your favorite food is, would you know what to say? What would your answer be?

I will (AGAIN) be out of town for the weekend, so I thought I’d leave you with ONE my favorite easy recipes. (Thank you to my dear sister for introducing me to this dish.)

This is from Grandma’s church cookbook, so you know it’s gotta be good. I think probably the Swiss cheese and white wine put this recipe over the edge on the tastiness scale.

ALPINE CHICKEN
6 chicken breasts
6 slices Swiss cheese in 4” squares (or, you know, double that amount for more cheesy goodness)
1 (10 ½ oz.) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
½ c. dry sherry or dry white wine
1 (8 oz.) pkg. Pepperidge Farm herb-seasoned stuffing mix (From personal experience, nothing is lost should you decide to save a dollar and use the store brand.)
¾ c. margarine, melted (That’s A LOT of margarine. I only use about half. You know, to make up for all the cheese.)

Arrange chicken in buttered 9x13-inch Pyrex baking dish. Place a slice (or 2) Swiss cheese on each chicken breast. Combine soup and wine; mix well. Pour over chicken evenly. Toss stuffing mix with margarine; carefully spoon over all. Bake, uncovered, at 375˚ for 1 hour. Cover; continue baking 30 minutes longer. (I find I don’t have to bake the chicken quite this long for it to cook; and hour or an hour and 15 min. total should suffice.)


I’m certain there will be adventures to relay after a weekend with family in Louisiana. We’re going to a wedding.

An outdoor wedding. At the end of May. In Louisiana.


I daresay it will be memorable, so stay tuned!

No comments: