Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Musings on a Hot Evening in May

A few days ago we decided to walk to the new Wal-Mart just down the street. We passed a Cici's Pizza on the way, and I had a brainwave.

(I was also having the beginnings of a sunburn on my shoulders since I did not realize when we left the house that it was going to be hotter than all get out or that I could get burned on a short walk to the Wal-Mart. Who puts sunscreen on just to go to Wal-Mart? Well, me from now on, but this a different story entirely.)

For those of you living in one of the 21 states with no Cici's Pizza locations, let me tell you: you can eat at the Cici's buffet for only $5!

At the risk of sounding like a commercial, I will continue.

Now, when you order pizza from another pizza chain, you pay, what? Around $15 for a large pizza? I'm not sure why this has never occurred to me before, but you can eat salad, pasta, pizza, yummy cheesy breadsticks, and dessert at Cici's for ... $5!

I know, what a life-changing insight! Especially if you love pizza!

On top of this, as we were walking to the Wal-Mart I decided I could just walk to Cici's, eat as much as I can handle, then walk back home, thus burning off some of those excess calories that inevitably come home with me after grazing at a buffet.

It's the perfect scenario!

Oh, and eating at a Cici's allows me to take a little trip down memory lane every time I visit because Cici's was one of the few sit-down restaurants I frequented in college. (Is it still safe to call it a "sit-down restaurant" when it's a buffet?) Back then I'm fairly certain the buffet was only $3, so WHAT A DEAL! With inflation and the price of cheese, I'm sure $5 is still a very fair deal.

Next time I'm really hungry, craving pizza (which really is practically every day of the week), and just do not feel like cooking, you can find me at Cici's.

Tip: You must drink water with your pizza buffet in order to keep the cost to $5. Pizza causes extreme thirst anyway, and water's the best remedy for that. Make sure you do not drink any other beverage out of the clear plastic water cup because, as my dear mother-in-law will attest, the staff will threaten to call the police, ban you from the restaurant for life, and throw you in jail for doing so. (In her defense, there were about 80 of us eating at the time, with various drink cups being passed around willy-nilly and no direction given us as to what color cup is to be used with which type of beverage. After explaining the situation, we were all allowed to stay in the restaurant, eat our meal, and I believe we are all still permitted to enter that particular Cici's. Just to be on the safe side, you may want to clarify which color cups go with which beverages before hitting the buffet line.)

No comments: