Sunday, December 20, 2009

See the picture up there?

I probably should have mentioned this weeks ago when I changed the picture up there on the blog header. I decided that snow is a much-desired component of December and Christmas even though I have spent most of my life living where this is not reality. In fact, chances are one in a million that I will actually see snow in this part of Texas on Christmas day...or really on any day.

Ice, maybe. Snow, probably not.

So I chose to add some Christmas cheer to the blog with a nice reminder of the days when I lived where it snowed: Amsterdam.

Yes, in case the tiny European cars and myriad bicycles didn't give it away, that's a view from our apartment in Amsterdam.

It must have been one of the three days during the winter months where the sun actually showed itself.

The snowfall in Amsterdam is pretty ideal: enough to cover ground and trees; large pretty flakes falling from the sky; yet not enough to be any hindrance to driving or biking around the city.

OK, maybe it is a bit of a hindrance to face going out when your bike looks like all those in the photo - covered with a layer of snow - and then having to pedal through falling snow (it's pretty much like riding through the rain; you're gonna end up wet).

Ahh. The memories. I wish Christmas looked like this here!

P.S. John was home for a few hours/overnight and is unfortunately back in another state by now. However, I forced him to take 10 minutes to sign Christmas cards, SO I will be attempting to purchase stamps from an automated machine this afternoon in hopes that I can actually mail the cards tomorrow! No Christmas letter, but holiday greetings BEFORE Christmas Day. At least for most of the recipients.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.