Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I insist on enjoying one holiday at a time.

I just returned from two and a half weeks in Africa.

It was hot, humid, green, and the holiday season was the last thing on my mind.

I have been catapulted into autumn with leaves changing color and trees in our yard shedding all over the place. Temperatures are mild.

My enjoyment of the autumn season has been cut short, however, by the fact that while shopping in Walmart I distinctly heard….Christmas music.

Can I please just enjoy Thanksgiving for right now?

Don’t get me wrong. I love Christmas. I just enjoy Thanksgiving as well. I should not have to sacrifice one to observe the other.

Maybe if we moved Thanksgiving to October we could enjoy more time between the two holidays. But then, the weather wouldn’t be quite right (at least in Texas) for Thanksgiving, so maybe that wouldn’t really work.

All I know is that it is discombobulating, after being on holiday in Africa for so long, to return home, be surprised that Thanksgiving is around the corner, then hear “Angels We Have Heard On High” while grocery shopping.

No comments: