Thursday, November 27, 2008

And I'm enjoying some of that coffee right now.

In the wake of violent bombings and hostage situations in Mumbai, India, 125 people are dead and 327 are wounded. When we first discovered the goings-on last night it happened to be just after 6 pm here, so we flipped on the news.

No one said anything about the hostage situation or the bombings. (Granted, they were probably covering it on CNN, but we do not have cable.

If you're still out of the loop, you can read up on the events online.

My husband informed me this morning that "only" three Americans were injured. I am reminded that each of those people have a family who are not having such a happy Thanksgiving. In all, over 450 innocent people were killed or injured in these attacks, and all of them have family and friends who are grieving, scared, or worried.

What better time to remember all the things I am thankful for.

1. First and foremost, I'm thankful that my hope is not in this world (because it always seems to be falling apart!). I trust in a God who is always good, who loves me and accepts me, and a Savior who will someday bring about the peaceful, perfect existence I long for. In the mean time, I believe there are more important things than the economy or being physically comfortable. I just have to keep reminding myself!

2. I'm thankful for my husband.

3. I'm thankful for friends that remain close no matter what the physical distance is between us. (And, yes, I am including family in this category as well.)

4. I'm thankful for air-conditioning and heating.

5. I'm thankful that God provides us with so much more than we need so we can help provide for others.

6. I'm thankful for the mountains (even though currently I have to travel a loooooong way to enjoy them).

7. I'm thankful for a car that gets such awesome gas-mileage and has very few maintenance problems.

8. I'm thankful for good coffee. From the Netherlands.

9. I'm thankful for books.

10. I'm thankful that I have a job, and that it's a job where I can minister to women and make a difference in people's lives.

11. I'm thankful that I could make this list so much longer than it already is (but I won't because a.)even though a feast awaits this afternoon, I should eat something for breakfast to make it until that time, b.)I need to wish some family members a happy Turkey Day by phone, and c.)the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade is on!).

What are you thankful for?

No comments: