Friday, August 08, 2008

Small World

Earlier in the week I had conversation with a Baylor student working in the call center (trying to persuade alumni to donate to worthy school causes). She asked if we keep up with football and basketball. I politely said something like, "Baylor football and basketball? Not really." Although, I guess technically we "keep up". It's easy to do with football; generally we hear or read that they lose...or we can just surmise that they lost and can usually be correct.

She followed up by asking if we were coming to homecoming, which is near the end of October, so I told her we would not be there this year since we are going to be in Africa. Unbelievably, this girl said, "Oh! Where are you going in Africa? You're not going to Uganda, are you? I'm from Uganda."

As a matter of fact we are. The student then told me how she came to college in the U.S. and about all the lovely things we must see while we're in her country. And I got to tell her about Compassion and how she can sponsor a child. She ended by promising that we would absolutely love Uganda and it is a beautiful place.

While I've been preparing myself for the stifling heat and tiredness that this trip is sure to bring, I sometimes lose sight of what an awesome experience it could be. After speaking to this girl, I became a bit more excited about seeing a little of Africa.

After shopping last night for some gifts for Ronald, I became even more eager to get there and finally visit this little boy whom we love and support.

Just two days ago we met a new couple in our small group. In another surprise turn of events, they are moving to....you guessed it...Uganda in the spring of next year as missionaries. Although living in Amsterdam, and not as missionaries, is a far different experience, we got to talk to them a bit about living for a long time period in a culture and place different than your home country. We promised to take lots of pictures of Uganda when we're there. The wife especially wants us to take a picture of a house...so that she can be assured people really do live in houses over there.

Of course, we will take as many pictures as humanly possible, no worries there.

Isn't it a small world?

No comments: