Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Absolute Best Mac 'n' Cheese....ever.

Only eight weeks until our trip to Africa commences! I believe most of the shopping has been done. All we lack is a long jump rope which I am beginning to think we need to just order online. Maybe it’s not popular for kids to jump rope on the playground anymore because I sure cannot find any jump rope other than for a single person in the workout section of the department stores.

OK, I just looked. Jump Rope for Heart is still in existence so I know children still jump rope somewhere in this country.

Oh, and we need bubbles. For some insane reason I’m holding out for Wonder Bubbles because I’m pretty sure those are the bubbles I always used growing up, and without any other experience how do I know those other brands actually work? I haven’t found any Wonder Bubbles either, but I will continue the search.

In the mean time, I am busying myself in my free time doing things like hemming curtains, schlepping various items to multiple locations for donation, and cooking what could be the best macaroni and cheese in the world.

Beecher’s mac & cheese is still up there. It could even be a toss up between Beecher’s and this macaroni and cheese, although John assures me Beecher’s has to come in second.

I’m fairly certain this mac & cheese has about 1000 calories per ½ cup serving. With all the cheese, sticks of butter and heavy cream it’s a wonder this recipe did not originate with Paula Deen. (And now I’m laughing thinking of the spot-on imitation of Paula Deen that both my husband and sister-in-law are capable of. I myself am no good at imitating accents and my own accent is not quite southern enough to do Paula Deen justice.)

So, almost as good, this recipe came from a Southern Living magazine and originally from John’s City Diner in Birmingham, Alabama. It’s a bit time-consuming (mostly because of all the cheese-grating), but you know how I love cheese. And pasta. So, it’s really the perfect food (except for all that pesky artery-clogging saturated fat that can easily be ignored once you take the first bite).

Not Yo’ Mama’s Mac ‘n’ Cheese

1 cup Japanese breadcrumbs (panko)

1 (4-oz.) package thinly sliced prosciutto
1 (16-oz.) package penne pasta
1/2 cup butter
1 shallot, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups whipping cream
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 (10-oz.) blocks sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded smoked Gouda
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake breadcrumbs in a single layer on a baking sheet 5 to 7 minutes or until golden, stirring once after 2 1/2 minutes.

2. Cook prosciutto, in batches, in a lightly greased large skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until crisp. Drain on paper towels; crumble.

3. Prepare pasta according to package directions.

4. Meanwhile, melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add shallot, and sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven, and cook 1 minute.

5. Gradually whisk in flour until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and next 4 ingredients; cook, whisking constantly, 12 to 14 minutes or until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Remove and discard bay leaf.

6. Place 4 cups (16 oz.) Cheddar cheese in a large heatproof bowl. Reserve remaining Cheddar cheese for another use. Add Gouda and Parmesan cheeses to bowl.

7. Gradually pour white sauce over cheeses, whisking until cheeses are melted and sauce is smooth.

8. Stir in pasta and prosciutto until blended. Pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

9. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Serve immediately.

No-Bake Not Yo' Mama's Mac 'n' Cheese: Omit breadcrumbs. Prepare recipe as directed in Steps 2 through 6. Stir pasta, prosciutto, and cheeses into white sauce. Serve immediately.

Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings

2 comments:

Emily C. said...

Can you seriously eat this and not die???

Erin said...

Oh yes. I just suggest you share it with about 15 other people, eat it as a side dish, and consume small portions at a time!