Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Healthy Food

Need I say anything about this photo?

OK. Of course I do.

This picture was taken one of the multiple times we visited the Safeway during our brief week-long trip to Estes Park. You can tell we were frequent customers (normally arriving in a pack of at least five) because we took to walking around the store, observing the merchandise and snapping pictures while waiting for others in the party to finish their shopping.

I can count on two fingers the number of times I was allowed to eat pop tarts for breakfast as a kid. And, come to think of it, those two times might have been at someone else's house...say, after a slumber party. And I'm pretty sure the only flavor available was strawberry...at least that flavor is a fruit.

I mean, these pop tarts aren't even trying to pretend to be healthy.

I look at this box and wonder, "Why is America the most overweight nation in the world?" Then I think, "It would almost be cheaper to just buy a package of Oreos...and probably just as healthy".

"Don't they add at least 7 vitamins and a couple minerals to almost everything anymore?"

"That can't possibly make up for the fact that these particular pop tarts are honestly just like eating dessert for breakfast, can it?"

"Why am I talking in quotes?"

The shelf is rather empty, so the cookie/dessert-for-breakfast must be pretty popular.

We're having breakfast for dinner, only it doesn't include pop tarts. Just some perfectly tasty items like Southern style biscuits, sausage, eggs, and grits (with cheese of course).

You know, healthy food.

No comments: