Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Four Snapshots of Life This Week

1. This is one of those weeks that feels like it is going on forever. I think this is mostly because my husband worked on Saturday and Sunday, so the weekend was strange and full and busy – not normal. I can only imagine how he must feel about his never-ending week!

2. This is also the week of Olympics let-down. The Olympics are over. Can I tell you how much I enjoyed being able to watch something on TV every night that was entertaining and wholesome and inspiring? Now it’s pretty much all about the Democratic National Convention. The Opposite of entertaining, wholesome and inspiring. There’s only so much I can take of politicians.

3. In lieu of the Olympics this week I have chosen to read because fiction literature is approximately 780 times more entertaining than whatever they’re showing on television, I’ve decided.

I am suddenly finding myself immersed in books I do not want to put down, harkening back to my younger days. Yes, I was the nerd who was always reading in elementary, middle and high school. In fact, as my family can attest, I would often read two books at the same time…and while watching television. In high school I would read a book for homework any day of the year rather than do a math problem. (Well, I would probably have done a great many things including building a shelter in the Sahara using only a toothpick and fingernail clippers before doing a math problem, so that might not be the best analogy.)

Thank you to all my dear friends and family who have suggested many extraordinary reading materials.

4. Besides spending almost no time watching television, I’m also spending much less time on my home phone these days, too. We ordered Ooma equipment so we could get free home phone service (local and long distance). It seems like a really wonderful idea if you do not live half a mile away from a humongous radio station antenna.

For some reason whatever signal Ooma is using to transmit our telephone calls is the exact same signal KRLD is using to broadcast their news radio. Yes, news. That means it isn’t just some music in the background. I am forever having to hold a conversation over all the talk radio. That skill of being able to read and watch TV at the same time? I’ve lost that in my old age and most definitely cannot hold one conversation while listening to news radio at the same time. I fear the Ooma equipment is going back. No one at Ooma can help that fact that we live underneath a gigantic radio antenna.

By the way, I still recommend you try the Ooma yourself. Just don’t cancel your regular phone service (or port your number to Ooma) until you’ve set it up and tried it out. You can just return it within a month if it doesn’t work out, and you still have your other phone service. (Which we are still trying to rid ourselves of. Next option: $10 T-mobile home phone.)

1 comment:

Joni Buck said...

We've thought about getting Vonage for a couple of years, we've just never done it.

It just seems like too good of a deal to get free long distance for cheaper than what we are paying with AT&T. The only problem is that we have DSL through them also....which would require switching to cable internet.

The whole thing just seems like a lot of trouble. :)