Monday, March 24, 2008

The Neurotic Writer

I am currently reading a book, The Forest for the Trees, all about writing and writers and editors and book publishing. I know, I know: thrilling. For those of us fascinated by writing and reading, perhaps hoping to write a book and see it published one day, the book is highly entertaining.

Or disturbing. Especially when you read a chapter entitled “The Neurotic” and realize that not only are most writers suffering from psychological hang-ups and emotional instability, but the chapter is describing you.

I confess. I am a little neurotic when it comes to writing. Now that it’s out in the open, I might as well continue writing this blog.

Does anyone read this blog? I hesitate to ask because part of me really does not want to know who is reading this blog. Part of me couldn’t stand for someone to say I’m a horrible writer…or boring…or pointless. Well, pointless I could handle. Part of me doesn’t even want to put any of this stuff out on the web. And that part of me has always kept this blog under a “private” subscription. No random googlers will find this blog!

But then, another part of me wants people to read what I write. Maybe I should change the blog to “public”. Sometimes I feel great about what I’ve written. Sometimes I think everybody should have this plethora of witty verbiage available to them. Are you reading? Do you like it? Are you entertained?

Wait. Don’t answer that! I’m better off ignorant of my audience.

See?

Neurotic.

No comments: