Thursday, March 13, 2008

Living with the land

A few important updates on the natural world.

There is a redbud tree growing between the shed in our backyard and the shed in our neighbor's backyard (separated by a fence). Our neighbor bemoans the fact that he has made several attempts to plant a redbud tree in his yard, but all attempts have failed thus far. However, this random redbud just sprang up of its own accord in what anyone would suppose is not the most comfortable place for a growing tree.

Apparently this particular redbud is pretty happy with its carefree, although possibly shortened, life between the sheds. My more exciting news is that the redbud is starting to get...well...red buds! Spring is just around the corner.

Also, on my way out of the driveway this morning I gazed out upon our beautifully manicured and fertilized front yard (thanks to John) and was met with a veritable forest. Right there in my front yard! (Sans the multitude of trees, which, come to think of it, are really rather necessary for there to be a forest.)

OK. Maybe I should describe it as a woodland animal scene.

Right there in my field of vision two squirrels were scurrying around the lawn, a blue jay flew from a bush to our rooftop, a red-headed woodpecker hopped along a tree branch, and a bright red cardinal sat serenely on our planter box.

And, yes, I am quite proud of the fact that I do indeed know the names of all the woodland creatures congregated in my front yard!

Happy beginnings of Spring!

No comments: