Monday, April 16, 2012

Do I eat or get dressed?

I remember, maybe when I was in junior high, my mother saying she needed to start sitting down when she ate. I'm sure she read somewhere that standing while you eat is not healthy or something. You know, concentrate just on eating so you recognize what and how much you're eating or something like that. As a child, I wondered why on earth she was always standing up to eat anyway. How hard was it to just sit down for ten minutes?

Now I know. It's not that I don't have time to sit down for ten minutes. Once Grace gets sleepy and I lay her down, she may be content in her crib for ten or fifteen minutes...or, more rarely, an hour...before insisting that she needs to be in my arms. But I feel that if I sit down, she senses it and will awake immediately. So, if I choose to spend those five or ten minutes eating, I will remain standing. It's superstitious I know.

It's probably also ineffective because, really, I think once she senses me doing something essential, like eating or using the bathroom, she'll wake up and start crying for me to pick her up whether I'm standing, sitting or doing handstands.

The other issue I face is how to spend those ten minutes. It could be an hour, but I'd better plan on just ten minutes. Do I get dressed and wash my face, or do I eat? Do I use the bathroom or take my vitamins? I have become pretty adept at getting at least two of those things accomplished in ten minutes.

Speaking of standing while eating, I'm probably also breaking another healthy living ground rule by finishing off an entire meal in a record one and a half minutes. But how else am I also going to get dressed and use the bathroom?

1 comment:

e said...

:)