Wednesday, February 02, 2011

So, this is what it's like to be stir crazy.

I don't remember ever being stuck in the house for two days in a row before. Well, unless I was laid up in bed on some strong pain medication that induced me to sleep away the time.

Now it looks like I'm going to be stuck here another day while a sheet of ice covers every roadway, sidewalk and parking lot in the city and wind chills remain in the single digits. Ugh.

I only had one library book checked out this week and I finished that yesterday afternoon. I guess this is when an electronic book reader would come in handy.

If this post is disjointed and random, it is because that's the way my brain feels. It's the cabin fever.

I could have really done with my acupuncture today. I'm certain it would have helped.

Somehow in the last two days I have gotten all the laundry done, but not folded a single thing. I have taken the time to cook meals, but not one dirty dish is cleaned. I have taken apart the humidifier but not actually gotten around to cleaning it.

This leads me to wonder what on earth I've been doing with all this time! I do believe I have wasted copious amounts of time watching the local news. Don't ask me why. It's the same news all day - all weather related. Wind chills are hovering around zero degrees...ice, ice everywhere...jack-knifed semis...everything's closed - likely for the rest of the week...stay home...the poor people who have come here for the Super Bowl...it's colder here than it is in Pittsburgh...why can't Encore fix the power outages already?

Perhaps I'm hoping that at some point the weather guy will say it's all coming to an end and he's sure we can drive around safely tomorrow and be outside without getting hypothermia. I might as well not even watch tomorrow because I don't think I'll hear those words until Friday. Evening.

Even though I am slowly going crazy, I thank God that I have shelter...and a working heater. I also thank God that I am living here rather than in Cairo amid violent, horrible protests or in Queensland, Australia where massive flooding is now being followed by a hugely devastating tropical cyclone.

No, I live in a country where ice storms and the mysterious disappearance of O.B. tampons from stores seem to be what we worry about.

(Seriously, who pays $39 for a box of tampons?!?)

And now I definitely vow to stop listening to the ridiculous local news.

No comments: