Thursday, February 03, 2011

ADD and Chicken Enchiladas

I am posting for the third day in a row! It must be some kind of a personal blogging record for me.

It can only mean I have got time. Plenty of time. Nothing but time.

Even though the dishes are still dirty, and, heaven knows, I could be doing something really productive with these forced days off - like cleaning out some closets. It's just that I have some kind of ice-storm-related ADD.

Shout-out to my sister-in-law and her roommate who stopped by with a Braum's peppermint shake for me this afternoon so I still haven't had to leave the house! (I know. Ice cream when it's 18 degrees. It was my sister-in-law's idea...I just thought it sounded good...and it was!)

You know what else was good? Seeing other actual people. In person. Life has been sad around here.
(Edited to note that it now seems there will be a fourth day of the ridiculous ice.)

Here's the huge icicle on our back porch that is loathe to go away already, taunting me that it is not yet warm enough for any of this frozen precipitation to start melting. It's also taunting me that we obviously have a large leak, right there, in our rain gutter.


In case you're one of the thousands stuck at home because of horrendous winter weather and you have lots of time on your hands and you like to cook, I have a recipe for you!

Strangely, I made these chicken enchiladas the other day, and this morning I talked to my mom and discovered she was going to make this same recipe tonight. I haven't made this particular dish in years. What can I say? Great minds think alike.

Appropriately, this recipe is from my mom. I believe it's from a cooking class she took in the '80s. I like to think I've brought it into the 21st century by adding a few little things to make it...not so beige.

Chicken Enchiladas

2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken
2-3 green onions, chopped
2 cups of Pepper Jack cheese, divided
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped spinach
12 corn tortillas
8 ounces fat-free sour cream
1/2 stick unsalted butter
3 Tbs. flour
15 ounces chicken stock
1 large avocado, cut into pieces

Mix shredded chicken with green onions, 1 cup of cheese, cilantro and spinach (and chopped jalapeño, if you want things super spicy). Soften tortillas a few at a time for a few seconds in the microwave. Divide mixture evenly among 12 tortillas, rolling them and placing them seam-side down in a 9x13 casserole dish.

Set oven to 350°.


In a small saucepan, melt 1/2 stick of butter. Add flour, chicken stock and sour cream. Stir until sour cream is melted and sauce is slightly thickened. Pour over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, and more green onions or cilantro, if desired.


Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. Serve with avocado as garnish on top.


Makes 12 enchiladas.

No comments: