Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Less than an inch

Well, the weather forecasters were all wrong last week. Turns out on Friday we got a bit more than "less than an inch" of snow.


That's our front yard and the street. We did, in fact, get five inches of snow and yet another day at home. At least on Friday the blanket of snow made it pretty.

Saturday the temperature here finally got above freezing and the sun came out. While it was still a little slick driving around the neighborhood in the morning, everything had melted by the end of the afternoon. However, before that happened John and I made a snow woman.


Snow woman because we used a red leaf for the lips that made it look distinctly female. (I know you can't really tell in the photo.) Then I added a hat with some leaves and berries stuck on top.

She melted within a couple hours.

To gain energy for the snow-woman making project, we went to Denny's for breakfast because 1.) I was desperate to leave the house, 2.) Denny's is cheap, and 3.) with the ice still on the roads, anyplace more appetizing was too far away.

We were two of about six people in the restaurant Saturday morning. The waitress came and asked what we wanted to drink. We should have known we were in trouble when John ordered a water and she replied, "We don't have any water."

Oooo-kaaaay. Orange juice, then. That was met with the response, "We don't have any orange juice", at which point we decided to just ask what they DID have to drink.

Coffee and sweet tea was the answer. (There was a bit of a language barrier and I'm almost certain they must have had sodas as well...not that we were keen on that option either.)

I'm avoiding caffeine and John drinks neither of the choices offered, so we mumbled "no thanks" and off went the waitress.

I was trying to figure out how on earth coffee is made with no water when the waitress came back and offered us apple juice or grape juice. We got one of each and the grape juice, happily for John, turned out to be grapefruit juice.

Even though I'm pretty sure it's against code to continue running a restaurant with no water, our meal improved from there when we got blueberries added to our pancakes and all our food was hot. All in all, it was an even more exciting way to venture back out into the world after four days than I expected.

Since the snow's melted I've been reacquainting myself with society and becoming accustomed to wearing clothes other than flannel pajama pants and sweatshirts.

Although, I hear tomorrow we're in for more ice and snow and even colder temperatures than last week...if that's even possible.

I noticed on the news tonight, the forecaster was detailing very specific forecast maps of where exactly and how much snow different areas of north Texas could expect tomorrow...and at what time. I believe he's trying to make up for the "less than an inch" snow prediction from last week. We'll see if it all pans out.

2 comments:

Kali said...

I'm praying they are wrong again...but more like they say we're getting 2-4 inches and instead we only get less than an inch! :-) i've seen WAY too much of my pajama pants and sweatshirts lately!

Rebecca said...

Now you need to post a picture of the "2-4 inches" we got today. I think I could be a meteorologist!