Thursday, December 30, 2010

Goodbye 2010!

Aaack! Where did the time go? I have been so busy either working or spending time with family the last couple weeks, I have not even had two minutes together to think, write, or enjoy some quiet.

This confirms that in general, I do a good job of balancing my life the rest of the year. I'm not sure how I would survive if all my days were as crowded and full as I've recently experienced. Thankfully, John has been on vacation while I've been working, so at least groceries have been bought and laundry cleaned and dried.

I am well aware that much of my victory over busyness happens because we don't have children...spending a week with my nephew reminded me of this. And, don't get me wrong, I love seeing family, and the time I spend with those I rarely get to see is precious.

It just also happens to move unimportant matters such as blogging...or obtaining food or making sure there are clean clothes...to the bottom of my to-do list.

We spent the last half of last week with my family. It is so fun to all be together in one house! As soon as we arrived, my nephew switched from following my mom around like a duckling to becoming attached to me like a fifth appendage. After four days it got so bad that lunch and snacks couldn't be eaten unless he was sitting in my lap. Our gifts to my parents and my sister, brother-in-law and nephew included web-cams. Yea! We can now all see each other a bit more often!

This week we're back home, so it's all about John's side of the family. Every event either includes or is centered around eating, so I don't think I'll be hungry again until February. I've also had a cold this week, so unfortunately I feel that my time with family is all a blur...a hazy, cold-medicine-induced blur. There have been more Christmas gifts, Kinect, monopoly, a painful Texas Bowl in which Baylor lost, and all manner of food. And it's not over yet, so I may be absent here at the blog for a few more days.

Speaking of colds, one of the reasons I will be happy to bid 2010 farewell is that I'm pretty sure my body has been either filled with antibiotics or anesthesia for a good half of the year...and I've probably been on over-the-counter drugs longer than that. I have never been sick so much in one year...EVER. I'm hopeful that 2011 will bring vast improvements for my health. (At the same time, I'm grateful that my illnesses have not been life-threatening...I know so many people who have been diagnosed with cancer this year.)

I'm also hopeful that I'll have a chance to sit down this weekend and give everyone a very brief recap of 2010, and maybe I'll have some resolutions for 2011...maybe. In case I don't get to a blog post before Saturday...Happy New Year!

No comments: