Saturday, December 18, 2010

'ad-vent

n. - a coming or arrival, especially of something extremely important or awaited

Remember as a kid how the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas seemed months long? The time between writing that letter to Santa and waking up to gifts under the tree on Christmas morning was nearly incalculable?

When did time stop lagging? When did it get to be December 18 and I'm still thinking, "Wasn't Thanksgiving just last week?"

With the way time flies, it doesn't seem that I have to wait that long for Christmas these days. I hate to admit it, but it's more digging in my heels and wishing for time to prolong itself than it is waiting. But that doesn't diminish the extreme importance of Christmas.

No, I'm not talking about Santa. Or even gifts, although giving gifts and seeing smiles on the recipients faces is happiness! It's the importance of our Savior coming to earth; without that He wouldn't be our Savior, the God who died (and defeated death) for us.

I know this is super late in the game, but I just discovered this beautiful, FREE, advent devotional, The Jesus Advent Celebration: The Jesse Tree Journey. It's written by Ann Voskamp, and even if you only get to read a couple days this year, you can print it out (or save it) and have it for next year!

(By now we all know that link is "late in the game" because time? It FLIES!)

Also, you may have already seen this on youtube, but The Social Network Christmas made me cry. That is probably due to my being highly hormonal since I've also cried watching a jewelry commercial and because the sun came up this morning, but I feel I can still recommend this as a good video worth four minutes of your time.



We have a week packed full of family, and I may or may not take a blog break for a bit. Soooo....

Happy Advent and Merry Christmas!

No comments: