Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Recap of a last-minute weekend trip

Now, I have relatives that live in Oklahoma. Mostly I go there in the summertime, but I made a very last-minute decision on Saturday to drive up to the capital of that state to the north in order to see my husband in actual real-life (as opposed to talking to him on the phone).

Maybe it's because it's the beginnings of spring, or maybe it's because of global warming, or maybe it's because I have just been totally unobservant over the past 30 years, but I observed for the first time that Oklahoma City has got to be the windiest city ever!

(Dear relatives who are reading this and wondering why I did not come see you during my whirlwind trip to your state,
a.) note the "whirlwind trip" reference
b.) this was a very last minute decision (see first paragraph)
c.) I really just came to reacquaint myself with my spouse
d.) We will both come visit you again at some point, I promise! And we miss you!)

I approximate the average wind speed in that city to be 28 miles per hour with regular gusts of 50 miles per hour.

Because I am a meteorological expert, of course, and can just whip out facts like that at a moment's notice.

OK. Honestly I have no idea of the wind speeds, but my hair was constantly a mess and people were nearly blowing over on the sidewalks. I might or might not have seen a small dog and the Wicked Witch of the West hurtling through the air. It could have been a mini-tornado.

So, my advice to tourists planning to visit OKC: bring some hair accessories to tie your hair back and keep your small dog on a leash with a firm grip.

I enjoyed the weekend and discovered that, not only is Oklahoma City extraordinarily windy, but it is also the home of the annual prepaid legal convention. And there are thousands of people in the prepaid legal business.

Just in case you're wondering, prepaid legal is apparently more like insurance salesmen and not so much anything having to do with being a lawyer. However, prepaid legal services do come in handy if your company offers a low-priced deal and you can basically get a lawyer to write up your will for $30. I admit we procured prepaid legal services through John's work in order to have this very thing done for us.

We still get mail from that lawyer advertising cruises that he will be a part of where we can conveniently learn all about estate-planning in our spare time while aboard the ship. Because isn't that what we all want to do while on a cruise that we've paid for in both money and vacation days?

Yeah, me neither.

And all this rambling has made me tired (or maybe it's the late hour way past my bedtime that has made me tired), so I shall, thankfully, end this post.

You're welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A good post on Adventures in Life. I did come across a blog http://israel.buildlastingsuccess.com. It’s all about starting home business based on insurance and legal plans for a 36 year old cash-rich company. It is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange, and reports directly to the Securities & Exchange Commission. Their 15 consecutive years of RECORD growth... is 100% verifiable!

Thanks,
Peter-Best home business opportunity