Friday, March 13, 2009

It is finished.

The post, that is.

After priming the post on the front porch, we waited almost as long as we could possibly wait before actually painting the thing. I believe the can of primer said we must paint over the primer within 30 days or we would need to re-prime.

We were NOT going to re-prime, so on day 28 we decided the paint must go on!

(Not that we were procrastinating or anything.)

(No, really! The weather just happened to offer us hurricane-force winds and/or bitter cold and /or misty drizzle for the past three weekends. Not ideal for painting outside.)

At this point I feel the need to admit that my sweet husband was the one who got out there and painted the post. I helped a bit in the clean-up process.

So, we now have a beautiful, freshly painted, white post on our front porch. I take it as a compliment that it doesn't stand out anymore...even though that means no one will really notice that we repainted it.

By the way, we have a new camera now, so technically I could take a picture of the post in all its glory, but without a "before" picture I am certain you wouldn't be too impressed by a picture of a plain old white post.

However, I will show you why we are now dreading the process of re-painting the other wood structures on our house.



(And yes, that picture was taken several years ago during the summertime because, well, it has been raining for three days here and is approximately 30 degrees outside. I do not wish to tromp around in the mud and freezing rain to take a picture of the patio right now. Don't worry. Before we paint I'll make sure to get a good close-up to document how old, peeling, and filthy the paint on the patio really is.)

It took a month to paint a POST...ONE POST...maybe five weeks.

By my calculations, it will take approximately six and a half years to get the back patio done from start to finish.

Add another few months to that because I'm pretty sure it will take at least that long to finally get started.

On the up side, we have a camera that works and you will have a "before" picture, so I can effectively post an "after" picture! In 2014. The projected completion date.

1 comment:

Paula & Skip said...

Didnt want to leave without a word. We will keep you in our thoughts hoping that your wish will be answered. Paula, a German on adventures in the US after living with her American honey in Spain.......