Thursday, December 25, 2008

Happy Christmas to All

The gifts got wrapped. The work got finished. The laundry got done (albeit at my parents house the day we arrived).

So far in our two days at my parents' house I have caught up on sleep because (oh, thank you!) the blinds in our bedroom are so great at keeping out the pesky morning light, I have eaten delightful peppermint-chocolate candies from my aunt (and am still figuring out how, how, one would make these), I have taken a nap, I have watched The Christmas Story and A Child's Christmas in Wales, I have taken a walk with my husband, I have visited HEB, and I have attended the Christmas Eve service where my favorite part will always and forever be lighting the candles and singing Silent Night before we file out.

There are still a few things on the "to-do" list while we're out here in West Texas: driving around to see Christmas lights, playing some board games, taking a few more naps, reading. It is perfectly fine by me that there is not abounding activity and entertainment available out here. Sometimes it's nice to slow down.

With some extra space to thing, last Sunday's sermon keeps echoing in my mind.

"Today in the town of David a Savior has been born for you; He is Christ the Lord." (Luke 2:11)

The best gifts are those that meet a need. Sure, it's fun getting little things that I want and would never buy for myself, but having a need met just can't be beat.

As I sit here in a warm home that is beautifully decorated for Christmas (thanks to my parents; I had absolutely nothing to do with that), getting ready to eat a gourmet meal, surrounded by family who are all healthy and happy, I cannot think of too many needs that I lack.

Our pastor pointed out that a gift of a Savior would only be truly great if we needed a Savior.

And for a long time I probably didn't truly comprehend my need for a Savior because, well, I've never really "needed" for anything.

Until I realized that all the "stuff" doesn't satisfy yet it sure does tempt me to keep focusing on it. And I can never escape from myself...my selfishness, my mistakes, my not so savory personality qualities. Oh, and then there's sin...it seems I can never quite be perfect.

So, then I realized one day that I definitely need a Savior. I need someone to love me so unconditionally that He will forgive me for anything and everything. I need someone to accept me and be with me always, no matter what. I need someone to help me out when I just can't beat those flawed personality qualities on my own.

While I like my fuzzy new Christmas socks and my new stick blender makes me pretty happy, I am most grateful for the gift a Savior...who meets my need...and your need.

Happy Christmas!

No comments: