Friday, December 12, 2008

Gift-wrapping not included

I love being able to give people gifts. (I guess really I should say I love being able to make people happy, because that doesn't always involve an actual gift. And, truth be told, I am not all that genius at buying the "perfect gift" for people. I do believe the "shopping gene" skipped me.)

In the case of some people, like my parents for instance, I know the best gift I can give won't come in a box. This year, their favorite Christmas gift will be having us at their house for the Christmas holiday. (I almost hesitate to give them anything else because it will pale in comparison and definitely not be as exciting for them as a visit from their kids.)

And at this point in the holiday hubbub, I almost wish that none of the gifts this year needed to come in a box.

Because they're not in boxes. Yet.

They're all in bags in various drawers and closets around the house.

The boxes are (I hope) in the attic somewhere. The gift bags and ribbons are (I hope) out in the garage. The wrapping paper is in the front bedroom closet (this I'm sure of since I knocked all the rolls down and all over the place while trying to retrieve something else from that closet). The tape (as far as I can tell) is mysteriously missing, which will require a trip to the Walmart.

And so, understandably, I have not begun the boxing/bagging/wrapping of the Christmas gifts.

(Don't you like how I have decided to procrastinate the package wrapping even further by sitting down to write an entire blog post on the subject instead of actually getting started?)

It's just so much work to gather all the supplies in one place, then find the right size boxes and bags. Then one family will have to have their gifts actually mailed to them, which means finding yet another box and packing tape, and a wait in line at the post office.

So, while I will love knowing that some people will be at least a little bit happy when they open their Christmas gifts from us, I also wish it was completely appropriate to just slap a sticker on all these gifts that announces "gift-wrapping not included".

I mean, the only gift I'm giving where the wrapping is essential will be the gift for my one-year-old nephew. (In his case, the wrapping paper is the BEST part. I might as well not even give him a gift if he can't have wrapping paper to rip, shred, throw around and chew up.)

I will, undoubtedly, succumb to the cultural norm and wrap all the gifts. I only ask that you take a moment to cherish the carefully selected wrappings that cover your Christmas gift from us. It will be a labor of love.

No comments: