Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Overthinking

Sometimes the possibility of a change is introduced and I feel wary - like it would all be too much hard work, I'm not sure it's the best idea, and I can't really imagine myself in that particular situation. Other times, the possibility of a change is introduced and I feel completely at peace with it. I can imagine myself in the situation, I can see how it would be beneficial to me or our family in some way, and even without knowing the details I can see myself content in the situation.

So, then I wonder why. Is the harder, less appealing change really the one God wants for me? I mean, isn't that the way God works? He doesn't promise we'll be comfortable, and doing hard things is how we grow and learn, right? Or, is feeling peace about a change confirmation that it's the right path? Maybe God is blessing me with confidence to do this thing.

Then I think, "I am way overthinking this." In the big picture of the cosmos, these changes in my life are really tiny. I trust God can work and use me in whatever circumstance I find myself. And, as I alluded to yesterday with the "prescription for contentment", I'm working this summer on learning contentment. From experience, I know even in the situations or changes that seem from the start to be relatively painless, life keeps happening and trials come no matter what. So, even if I choose something that seems "easy", chances are it won't end up being as easy as I imagine. And then I'll have a chance to practice contentment.

I'm still overanalyzing things at this point, so I kind of give up and figure maybe I should just roll with the punches. And go eat some lunch.

More immediately, maybe I need to just go make some Avocado Egg Salad. I've been wracking my brain trying to think of foods I could make when the temperatures make cooking undesirable. This egg salad seems like just the thing...except for boiling the eggs...but the ends might justify the means.

Plus, I have some tomatoes from the garden that need to be used up, and while caprese salad is fabulous, you can have too much of a good thing.

Please feel free to share one of your favorite summertime meals; I'm running out of ideas!

No comments: