Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Empty Arms

In the past, infertility has tainted my view of Mother's Day. I became less than enthusiastic about attending a church service where all the mothers were congratulated, prayed for, and even given flowers while those of us unable to have children were left out.

I became more mindful of all the mothers whose child, or children, are not here on this earth with them.

This year I am not only in the category of "infertile" (maybe rather "subfertile"), but I am also in the category of the women whose children are in heaven. My sentiments about Mother's Day haven't changed so much since the blog post I wrote last Mother's Day, except that the pain of losing a child is extremely close to my heart. Just days after writing last year's post I went to my 11-week OB appointment and had to endure a sonogram of my child, unmoving, no heartbeat.

Please say a prayer this week for all of us who carry the hurt of losing children or not being able to give birth to a child. I imagine children whose mothers have died are having an equally painful time this week, though I can't say I understand that pain personally. Please remember them, too.

And to put some positive action to our good thoughts and prayers, may I suggest a way to help mothers with little or no resources prevent the deaths of their own young children? Compassion International's Child Survival Program helps moms provide proper nutrition and medical care for their babies before and after birth. Many of these children would die of preventable diseases without the help of the Child Survival Program. Please consider reaching out to these mothers this Mother's Day.

2 comments:

Kali said...

praying for you, sweet friend!

Abby G said...

Love you, Erin!