Friday, September 24, 2010

Howdy, Folks!

First off, I'm on the computer writing this post with some hesitation because I'm only about 30% sure I will finish typing it up, edit it, and get it posted to the blog in one piece without this computer eating it...or blowing up.

I got some dire warning yesterday when I booted the computer up that some update we installed was wreaking certain havoc on our entire database and it needed to be uninstalled. Or something. I went to the virus protection to check and see if this warning was for real, it was indeed, and so I just clicked "OK" for it to fix the problem. (I am so sophisticated when it comes to the computer knowledge.)

Today, when I booted up I got another warning that now my computer is not fully protected from viruses and whatnot...probably because yesterday it told me I needed to uninstall some update. Today it said I needed to install an update.

To make a long story even longer, I attempted three times to get the stupid update for the virus software to install all while my computer began moving at the speed of molasses in wintertime. It finally installed, but then I could not get any windows or the internet to work properly and I just shut the thing down. I'm not back on, but I keep getting the "circle of death" (used to be the "hourglass of death" back in the day) and it is taking entirely too long for this computer to do anything.

Whew.

As if the computer isn't problems enough (for my day off, nonetheless), I have had a couple unexpected animal encounters within the past hour.

I went out to turn the smoker on to smoke some chicken breasts, and lo, I found this:


Even poking and prodding (with a stick) would not make this toad leave the smoker. I couldn't just turn the thing on because I actually want toads in my garden, alive, eating bugs...I just don't want to have to touch them. Finally, I donned some garden gloves and picked him up to let him jump over to the garden.

When I came back inside I discovered a wasp flying madly around our living room. Of course by the time I got the fly swatter he was nowhere to be seen, but I know that wasp is somewhere in this house.

I don't think nature likes me today.

On the bright side, if you're looking to avoid nature, Starbucks has pumpkin spice lattes again. (What could be more unnatural that adding artificial flavoring and whipped cream to a coffee beverage? Just kidding. I think.) Yea! You can pretend it's not 90 degrees and humid outside, sit inside (away from nature) in your air-conditioning, and sip on a beverage that just tastes like autumn, cool weather, and Thanksgiving.

The only downside of the pumpkin spice latte is that it reminds me of the year I started drinking them. (As if I drink them regularly...I may have two or three a year.) That year was the fall of 2007. My nephew was living in the NICU in Austin, and on my way from my sister's house in New Braunfels to Austin I would pick up a pumpkin spice latte sometimes. Venti, so I could share with my sister. Those were not the happiest of times.

However, my sweet nephew is now three years old: happy, precocious, cute, smart, and so fun! He's actually coming with his mom and dad to visit us in a couple weeks because...

It's State Fair of Texas time! The fair started today! I can't wait to take D to pet the animals, see the little kids' circus show, play on a mini-farm, look at a giant sculpture make entirely of butter, and eat some corny dogs. Oh, and hear a 52-foot cowboy greet us all with a friendly, "Howdy,folks!" Unfortunately D will not be partaking in this year's most creative fried food since he's underage: fried beer. Come to think of it, I probably won't either. Although, I do hear there's some kind of fried margarita thing. That might be more my style.

But let's face it. Spending $15 for fried alcohol is definitely NOT my style. And come to think of it, if you fry alcohol, wouldn't all the alcohol cook out anyway? What's the point?

In case you're wondering, there's also a "tastiest fried food" award for the year: Texas fried Fritos Pie. Mmm-mmm. Think I'll stick with a corny dog.

Here's hoping this will post!

No comments: