Monday, August 23, 2010

When 90 Degrees is a Cold Front

After weeks of triple-digit temperatures, the weather has decided to produce some lows in the 70s and highs only in the 90s! This has not been seen since May...OK, maybe mid-June.

Unfortunately it is still quite humid. I worked in the garden (finally ridding myself of the gigantic okra plants and struggling peppers) between 7 and 9 this morning, hoping it would be cooler. I still ended up dripping with sweat, but thankful that my garden is ready for fall planting.

By the way, while digging down, down, down to get the silly okra plant roots out, I was reminded of when my sister and I would start digging holes in our backyard as little kids thinking we could dig all the way to China. I'm pretty sure the holes never hot deeper than 6 inches. I'm also fairly certain my dad did not condone our excavations in the backyard. Maybe that's why we only ever got to about 6 inches deep. Well, this morning by the time I got the okra roots unearthed in the garden, I felt like I should be seeing China at any moment.

I still haven't really researched what I can plant this late in the game for a fall harvest...or even decided if I really want to plant or let the garden rest...but at least I'm done with the okra!

I also need to show the world the beautiful breakfast John made for himself while I was working last Saturday. I feel it's appropriate to share since he went to the trouble of taking a picture and all.



Those eggs would have had no vegetables in them at all before we got married. Heck. I have a hard time believing there would have even been a homemade breakfast nine years ago had he been forced to fend for himself. I'm proud that my husband can cook such a pretty meal. If something happens to me, he should be able to survive. I think.

That's morbid. Let's not think about that.

My cute, sweet nephew had a good first day of preschool. As far as we can tell. The communication between teacher and parent in public preschool is lacking, but D was happy when the teacher's aide brought him to the car after school.

He was also very thirsty. I certainly hope my sister writes a note to the teacher making sure she knows D won't really drink much out of an open cup and that's why she send a sippy cup with him to school. The child has to drink some water in the three hours he's at school! (My sister says that, as a mom of a preemie, she knows she will probably be more out-spoken about her child's well-being than most parents, and if the teachers want to complain about her in the teacher's lounge, they can go ahead.)

My sister dutifully followed the rules (although apparently every other parent did not) about just pulling up and letting an assistant get D out of the car and take him in the school rather than parking and taking him into his classroom herself. Of course, D didn't know the assistant and cried when she took him away. I believe my sister cried after that, too...just a little. I think I would have cried as well had I known this was happening. I would not have cried just a little.

There were no notes in the "communication folder" that D carts back and forth to school each day, so my sister could only find out from my nephew that he "petted Rory," the teacher's dog who comes to school every day. D loves dogs, so this must have been a highlight of the day. He even told me he "petted Rory" when I talked to him on the phone that evening. Man, do I miss that kid!

And finally, do you know that stores do not carry No-Ad sunscreen anymore? Even though consumer reports ranks it as one of the best? And it's cheap? You have to buy it online now. And pay shipping.

I think those are the highlights from the past couple days.

Oh, and John has other skills besides cooking a pretty breakfast. He was featured in the Baylor Business Accounting and Business Law annual report magazine thing. You can read the article - it's on page 5 of the PDF file.

OK. Now that's all the news. Hope you're having a great week so far! Enjoy the cold front of 90-degree temperatures! It's practically fall-like, people!

No comments: