Friday, August 20, 2010

Moque Choux, Single Subject Notebooks, Etc.

Well, I know what I can grow in my garden next year - no matter how hot and humid it gets.


Okra.

I have so much okra. And okra really only stays good for about three days in the refrigerator. Thankfully my neighbor harvested and ate okra for one week while we were in Colorado, so there's about a pound of okra I didn't have to figure out what to do with!

I've added it to jambalaya, made some maque choux, fried it, and put a bunch of it up in the freezer. But I am getting a little tired of the okra, so I think before our next trip I might just go pull it all up.

I have two hesitations about doing this. First, I kind of hate to pull out plants that are still pretty healthy and producing so much! Second, the stems on these plants have gotten as large as a small tree, so I'm pretty sure "pulling them up" will have to be more like chopping them down with an axe. That will require me to be outside for more than a few minutes which might then require the use of an oxygen tank because all the excessive heat, humidity and ozone is wreaking havoc with my breathing the last few days.

And now you're getting tired of me talking about all the okra!

My poor bell peppers grow...but only to a small size. This one has been this same size for several weeks now:


I think even daily watering is not enough to keep the plants from getting baked in all this heat.

Have I ever said how much I love basil?



I made BLTs the other night with homegrown tomatoes my sister gave us last weekend (Thank you, B!!!), pepper bacon, basil leaves, baby spinach leaves, and basil mayonnaise. Mmmmm!

Basil is handy for adding to spaghetti sauce, making pesto, putting on pizza, sandwiched between mozzarella and tomatoes in a toasty, chopped up on salad, or processed into salad dressing. And it's a pretty plant!

On another note, this is tax-free weekend around these parts. We took a quick trip to the store this morning to purchase school supplies to donate to the school that one campus of our church is meeting in. Single subject notebooks for 15 cents!!! We got 75 of them for just over $10! What a deal!

Speaking of school. My sweet nephew is starting pre-school next week. Five mornings a week. I don't know how my sister is handling it because I am nervous and scared for him, and a little in awe that he is growing up so fast and already going to school!

Although, we also talk often about the fact that seeing him grow and change is a huge praise when so many doctors warned us when he was a baby that he might not make it...or he might not be able to go to school...or he might not be able to walk, or talk, or eat by himself. D is a miracle. A miracle who is walking, talking, eating, learning, and making his personality known!

So, to take my mind off how alarmingly fast time is flying and how much I miss my nephew, I guess I'll go do something with the okra sitting in my fridge and work up the nerve to chop down the gigantic plants thriving inexplicably in the garden.

No comments: