Friday, July 24, 2009

Watermelon and Things More Satisfying

You know those little seedless watermelons they sell for about $4-5? I refuse to buy them because, even though they're the perfect size for me and I'm the only one in the house who eats the watermelon, I will not pay $5 for a tiny watermelon.

BUT, if you have a Sprouts near you, I'd just like to announce that they have these little watermelons for the low, low price of $1.49. Although, I have to admit, I never think the seedless watermelons taste quite as sweet or crisp as regular, seeded, full-size watermelons.

But really, for $1.49, who cares?!?

(And also, the boneless, skinless chicken breasts with no hormones are on sale for $1.79/lb. Can't beat that. OH! And the halved walnuts are only $3.99/lb.)

This has all really made my week. I am apparently easily delighted this week!

I understand all this advertising for groceries is not the cleverest, most entertaining reading material. Luckily, today I happened upon a document on the computer of good quotes I've run across. Here are some of them for your reading pleasure:

“Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow.” - Swedish Proverb

“When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a way so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.” - Indian proverb

"I believe in the sun even when it is not shining. I believe in love even when I do not feel it. I believe in God even when He is silent." - inscribed on cellar walls during the Holocaust in Cologne, Germany

"When we walk to the edge of all the light that we have, and take that step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen - there will be something solid for us to stand on, or God will teach us to fly." - author unknown (to me)

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." - C.S. Lewis

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, J.K. Rowling

"The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing... not healing, not curing... that is a friend who cares." - Henri Nouwen

Now, don't forget to put cheap watermelon, walnuts, and chicken on your grocery list for this weekend!

No comments: