Thursday, February 07, 2008

Montana: It used to be just a state.

I am writing this entry in response to the feelings brought up by reading another blog about Miley Ray Cyrus, aka Hannah Montana. These feelings and thoughts, however, have been brewing in my mind for quite some time.

Warning: I could have done research on this topic before writing, but the entire situation may be more amusing the way I perceive it, regardless of fact. I have never watched the Hannah Montana show, but I have seen commercials for the movie and seen Miley interviewed and singing in various forums.

Hannah Montana is a Disney show on Saturday mornings. The actress who plays Hannah Montana is Miley Cyrus. Ironically, both Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus sing and play the guitar or some such. And now Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus act/sing/play/dance around both on a television show and in real life on a stage. Oh…and more recently, on a movie screen.

The way I see it, there is simply no point in Hannah Montana being a “different” person than Miley Cyrus; they both apparently do the exact same things. And in fact, they are NOT different people. When Miley wants to be Hannah, she puts on a blond wig. Other than that, I can see no great difference. If I was blind, or if I just heard a Miley/Hannah song on the radio, how would I know whether I was listening to “Hannah Montana” or Miley Cyrus?

Is Hannah Montana a person, an event, or a television show? Where does Miley Cyrus fit into each of these situations? Is anybody really supposed to be duped into believing that Hannah Montana is, in reality, a different person than Miley Cyrus?

Not only am I confused, but it seems a little creepy. After all, there could be some dissociative identity disorder here. Does Miley really know that sometimes she’s Hannah Montana? Or is someone capitalizing from this whole drama while Miley is unawares? Or maybe it’s Hannah who is unaware.

I am definitely confused. How could Miley/Hannah not be confused?

And the children. Is it right that we are exposing children to such a complicated intrigue?

Don’t even get me started on the fact that Miley Cyrus’ dad, Billy Ray Cyrus (that’s right, as in “Achy-Breaky Heart”) is her father in real life and on the television show, but with a different name as her dad on the television show. Whew.

No comments: