Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Is that snow?

I feel I should have words to write on this blog more often. Not so much because I think many people are reading it, but simply because I like to write. I just need to be more creative since the actual facts of life may not be that entertaining.



There was a storm in Dallas today. I happened to choose just the right time to be inside the grocery store while the sky opened up. Strangely, on my drive home I noticed something that looked like snow piled up on the eaves of a house just down the street from us.



I was startled to see "snow" since it has been about 80 degrees for the past two days. Even now, I can't think how I calmly kept driving after seeing what definitely looked like snow on a roof while the temperatures were quite spring-, even summer-,like. I remember being shocked, realizing what the temperature was outside, looking around quickly to see if the "snow" phenomenon was pervasive throughout the street, seeing no other "snow" at first, and then suddenly approaching my own driveway and seeing more "snow" piled up around my front porch and the garage doors, all while trying to convince myself that the white pile on top of that house must be from a tree, or maybe some kind of construction work. What kind of construction would result in snow-type material being left on top of the roof of a house? Well, I have no idea. All of these thoughts took place in a matter of seconds.



This is a reminder to me of how we just cannot make sense of even the most rational, real things when we are faced with them out of context. For instance, I might run into a friend from college in a local home improvement store and not be able to remember her name or how I know her for the life of me. After all, she doesn't belong in the home improvement store! How am I suppossed to place her face and come up with a name when I'm looking for roofing tar?



I am quite aware of the fact that I wear my emotions visibly in my facial expression, so it is no surprise to me that everyone knows when I am utterly confused. I'm sure my facial expression in the car after seeing the "snow" was one of complete bewilderment.



Maybe that's why the guy walking his dog was laughing.



The entire mystery was answered as I pulled into my driveway and saw the "snow" up close. It was actually pea-sized hail.



Quite an "ah-ha!" moment. (Not every revelation can be world-changing.)

No comments: