Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Just so you know...

I am easily startled. I really don't mind quiet. I spend quite a bit of time by myself, especially since John is working so much right now. Most people would probably describe me as an introvert. Once I start having a thought, I can pretty much block out the world and sink into my own brain. Maybe all these facts add up to: I am easily startled.

I realize that hands-free mobile phones have been a part of the culture for, well, years. Since before we moved overseas. (Recently I've noticed I try to place events and happenings by "pre-Amsterdam" and "post-Amsterdam.)

Surely I am not the only person, easily-startled though I am, that jumps a little when a random and completely unfamiliar person in public near me seems to be looking in my direction and says something like, "Hi!" or "Do you know where I can find artichokes?" or "I can't believe how rude that woman was to Auntie JoJo."

OK, maybe I'm not startled so much by that last statement. I don't even know an Auntie JoJo.

It is especially disconcerting when my own name pops up in the greeting. "Hey, Erin! I haven't talked to you in forever!" I jump, turn, and find a strange woman that seems to be talking to me.

It still takes me a second to notice the hands-free mobile device from which is obviously emanating the other half of a conversation not involving me whatsoever.

An unobservant alien to our planet would surely conclude that half of us are crazy, having one-sided conversations with thin air.

And it startles me.

No comments: